Click Here to Print: Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
I feel like I’ve made this a thousand times! I’ve made a version of it every week since I went back to work after having Baby Danny.
I bake it on Sunday and then pack it up to take to work for breakfast each day…
Unless Ozzy or my mom (aka GranMart) have eaten it all… Oz frequently eats it as an afterschool snack and my mom eats it for breakfast on the days she watches Baby D.
Anyway, this is the best version so far! (Get excited for breakfast tomorrow, GranMart!)
- 2 apples
- 1 c milk
- 1 egg
- ½ t salt
- 1 ½ t cinnamon
- ¼ – ½ c raisins
- 3 c oats
- ¼ – ½ c almonds
- Core and chop apples with the skin on.
- Toss the apples in a saucepan with about 1 inch of water.
- Simmer until they are tender enough to mash.
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9×13 baking dish.
- Whisk egg and milk together.
- Add a small amount of the mashed apples and whisk. Then, add the rest of the apples and mix. (Adding a small amount first keeps the eggs from scrambling!)
- Mix in salt, cinnamon, oats, and raisins.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with almonds.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until it begins to brown slightly.
Here are some ideas to get your “kid cook” involved with this recipe:
- Allow him to add the apples and water to the saucepan before putting it on the stovetop.
- Have him do the whiskin’ and mixin’!
- He can help place the almonds on top before baking.
- Talk to him about the ingredients and where they come from. Talk about how food that is good for you can be oh so yummy, too!
- You can substitute a number of the ingredients (and I have to keep from getting bored week after week). Here are some ideas:
- Sub pears for apples
- Sub craisins for raisins
- Sub pecans or walnuts for almonds
- Not into nuts or raisins? Leave ‘em out!