Click Here to Print: Chicken Patties
You mean I can have a “fast food” chicken sammy made at home with real chicken?!
When I was expecting Ozzy, I ate many a fast food chicken sammies. I know, I know… I should’ve been eating more fruits and veggies, but they tasted sooooooooooooooooooooooo good!
After having Oz, I’ve only eaten maybe 3… that’s like once a year. So when I made something at home that unexpectedly tasted just like one, I was so pumped!
I was eating left overs at work for lunch and I immediately called my husband.
“Have you eaten lunch yet?!”
“Doesn’t the chicken taste like a fast food chicken sandwich?”
“Yeah, actually someone asked what I was eating and I told her it was basically fake chicken, but it’s real.”
Right after I got off the phone with him, I texted Auntie M (my husband’s cousin’s wife and my good friend) to tell her how excited I was to try them in patty form!
Auntie M is the one who originally made the buffalo chicken meatballs that inspired this creation. Let me explain…
So for the past few years on New Year’s Eve, Auntie M and I have had “Pinterest Nights” where we try a bunch of new appetizer recipes we found on Pinterest. It’s such a success that we started having one in the summertime, too!
Last year, Auntie M made these Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. We loved them and she made them again as an appetizer for her family’s Thanksgiving dinner. They were gone in 20 minutes!
I decided to make them for Super Bowl Sunday and we loved them yet again. So, I thought I would make them for dinner one night. However, I thought I’d tone down half the batch for Ozzy… I used ranch in place of buffalo sauce and because I was cooking one handed (with my kid-cook in training on my hip), I left out the celery. That night, I ate the buffalo portion, so I didn’t know how amazing the ranch version was until the next day.
Less than a week later, I made them as patties and the result is this deliciousness…
Here they are almost done… they just need to finish cooking in the oven.
Oh, and I feel like it’s worth mentioning that even with all that ranch, it doesn’t taste like ranch! It tastes just like a fast food chicken patty!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- Whole wheat Ritz crackers (half of a 12.9oz box)
- 1 c ranch dressing
- Oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Put the crackers into a large zip top bag and crush them into crumbs.
- Mix chicken, 1 cup cracker crumbs, and 3 T ranch.
- Pour the rest of the crackers and ranch into separate bowls.
- Form chicken mixture into patties and heat the oil in a skillet.
- Coat them in ranch, then in cracker crumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- Fry each patty until golden brown on each side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches at least 165°.
Here are some ideas to get your “kid cook” involved with this recipe:
- Have him do the cracker crunching!
- Measure the crackers before crushing them. Ask him if he thinks there will be more before or after crushing. Measure them again after and have a discussion about volume.
A perfect “kid cook” job is crushing the crackers!
… at least until something more fun (like helping Daddy de-kitty-fur the couch) comes along. What?
That’s ok… I called in the trainee.
This recipe was inspired by: OMFG. So Good.